Thursday, June 18, 2009

Acquired: Big Box Of Hawkman


As the title suggests, major gains were made were made this week in my Hawkman collection.  Since I am not going to be heading up to Charlotte for HeroesCon this year, I instead decided to take some of the money I would have spent there and treated myself to a big online order instead.  Ironically enough, the box arrived on Tuesday -- my birthday!  Combined with my nex HDTV and baby son, it's been a pretty rocking couple of weeks!

So what all was in the box?  Let's take a look...

Showcase #102-103 -- I found #101 almost at random at a small show last year, and really dug it, so these two were top of my list.  The first Rann-Thanagar War is now in my collection!

Shadow War of Hawkman #1-4 -- If only so Frank can stop giving me grief about it, and I can stop being tempted by it at Crazy Ed's booth at Cons.  Really looking forward to this one as well as...

Hawkman v.2:no.2-9, 11-14, 16-17 -- ... since they follow up on it.  Between the finds in discount bins over the past year and this batch, I have the complete run of the Shadow War-tinged volume, of which I have read exactly -zero- issues.

Hawkman v.3:no.0, 2-33, Annual 1-2 -- Similarly, I now have the entire run of the third volume, of which I have read two issues (and one of those was about 15 years ago at this point).  This series has taken on a "If I knew then what I knew now" status for me over the last few years, but at least now I can enjoy it at my leisure.

Hawkman v.4:no.2-3 -- Completing the first story arc from the latest volume, I got tired of trying to find the collected edition and started buying singles when I saw them cheap.  Johns, Robinson, and Morales are in top form herein.

57 issues in total -- one big box of Hawk-goodness which is going to take me a good long while to read through!  And while this has made a huge dent in the collection, I'm still not done!

For one thing, I need to finish Volume 4 -- most of which can be done through collected editions but there are still 8 uncollected issues I will need to find.  Then of course, there is Hawkworld, of which I have exactly one issue.  Rounding out the list are the Hawks backup appearances (what DC would call a "co-feature" nowadays) in the pages of Detective Comics and World's Finest, plus a few issues of Guy Gardner: Warrior and Justice League America to complete a crossover with Volume 3.  

But that's another matter -- I've got enough Hawkman here to keep me occupied for months if not years, the speed I read.  So here's to uncovering more and more of the history of the Winged Wonder.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have some of those but I am still jealous. :)

Diabolu Frank said...

So what you're saying is I'm now meant to shift my grief over "Shadow War" to the mostly excellent and actually comparatively superior "Hawkworld" series. Done and done!

Not done: my synopsis of the Zatanna issue of the Isabella Hawk-run for the Detroit blog. D'oh!