Thursday, April 2, 2009

Hawkman Sketch by Shane White


Since I am going to be out of town tomorrow, I figured I would post a sketch for you all today.  This piece is by Shane White, who's work has been seen in such varied titles as Hawaiian Dick, Fear Agent, The Overman, and Battle Pope.  You can check out his website right here.

This sketch reminds me of the Sword & Sorcery work of John and Marie Severin.  I think it may be the feathering (no pun intended) of our muscle bound hero, or maybe the tension in the arms, ready to use that mace to good effect.  The emphasis on the musculature in the shoulders, biceps, triceps, and forearms further fuels the S&S vibe.  The speed lines on his legs also convey motion very well, giving the overall impression that Hawkman is swooping in for the KO blow.

One thing though: Look at that helment, and tell me that's not Hawkgirl's helment instead of Hawkman's!  Look at the way the brow ridges connect with the wings.  Still, I'd like to see more of Mr. White's work on both of the Winged Wonders!

Disclaimer: I do not own or have possession of this sketch.  It is being reposted from the cited website only.

Image: Hawkman sketch, ???, Shane White, retrieved from The Comic Sketch Gallery.

1 comment:

Skyhawke said...

I have been following your blog for a couple of weeks now and imagine my surprise when I saw you were talking about the sketch Shane did for me at Emerald Comicon.

I believe I gave him Hawkman #4 by Tony Isabella and Richard Howell and the cover by Murphy Anderson as a reference to use to draw from. Shane was an interesting person to talk to while he did the sketch. I would recommend anyone to get a sketch from him it you see him at a convention.