Monday, May 14, 2012

Savage Hawkman #12, Earth 2 #4 Solicits

Well golks, DC has started releasing their previews for their August comics, including the Justice League group solicits.  So you know what that means: Savage Hawkman and Earth 2 solicitations are here!  So, without further adieu...

THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #12
Plotted by ROB LIEFELD
Scripted by ROB LIEFELD and MARK POULTON
Art JOE BENNETT and ART THIBERT
Cover by ROB LIEFELD
On sale AUGUST 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• HAWKMAN vs. ST. BASTION – with PIKE, an incredible assassin with key info about Hawkman's past, caught in the middle!

I am guessing that the Diehard-looking person on the cover is the aforementioned Pike, as we have seen St. Bastion previously.  One thing you can always say about Rob Liefeld is that he likes to introduce new characters, and this does not seem to be any different here.  We haven't seen the first Liefeld issue yet, so I still am not sure what we're going to get, but from all of the solicitations we have seen and the hype we have heard, I think it's a safe bet that it's going to be action-heavy.  So, personally, I am hoping for some straightforward Fighty McFightenstein (TM Andrew Leyland) superheroics.  Also, I would like to point out that this image may be the best Hawkman image we have seen from Rob Liefeld so far -- use that comment as you will.

EARTH 2 #4
Written by JAMES ROBINSON
Art by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT
Cover by IVAN REIS
1:25 B&W Variant cover by IVAN REIS
On sale AUGUST 1 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
• THE GREEN LANTERN, THE FLASH and HAWKGIRL in action!
• The debut of the all-new ATOM SMASHER!
• A monstrous evil claws its way out of the poisoned soil of EARTH 2!

What can you say about this solicit?  It hits the right notes and has me interested in reading it -- I mean, Alan Scott, Jay Garrick, and a new Hawkgirl in action?  Just go ahead and take my 3 bucks already.  I have to wonder, we saw Al Pratt in the first issue, will he be the new Atom Smasher -- as opposed to The Atom?  Either one works for me, honestly.  This book is shaping up to all sorts of crazy and I'm eager to see how it unfolds.

So folks, what do you think?  Do these solicits make you interested in reading about these Winged Wonders?

Image: The Savage Hawkman #12, 2012, Rob Liefeld.

Image: Earth 2 #4, 2012, Ivan Reis.

3 comments:

Mr P said...

And the hits keep on coming. Ugh. It's going to be hard to buy these Liefield Hawkman comics. Thank goodness for Bennett, that's the one ray of hope currently shining on Hawkman.

I'm intrigued by Earth 2 and want to trust James Robinson. I hope he's bringing his Starman game and not his Cry for Justice game. I'm curious to find out about the new Hawkgirl.

Doug said...

As horrible as that Liefeld cover is, the Hawkgirl cover is stunning. I love that the lines from the mask appear to continue onto Hawkgirl's face UNDER the mask.

I cannot praise this new look enough.

Luke said...

@Doug, agreed, I really dig Hawkgirl's new look. Can't wait to see her in action under the pencils of Nicola Scott.

@Mr P, I think I am in luck as I have liked pretty much all of the recent stuff I have read from Robinson. Earth 2 could turn into something of a breakout title based on the buzz surrounding it. And adding Hawkgirl never hurts, right? ;)