Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Upcoming: Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #1

DC has begun the marketing push for their upcoming Convergence event, starting with the first round of solicitations for the 40 two-part series.  One of these is Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle, which features the Flashpoint versions of Hawkman and Hawkgirl!  Take it away, Newsarama:

CONVERGENCE: NIGHTWING/ORACLE #1
Written by GAIL SIMONE
Art by JAN DUURSEMA and DAN PARSONS
Cover by JILL THOMPSON
Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD
On sale APRIL 8 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T
STARRING HEROES FROM THE PRE-FLASHPOINT DCU! Just as they've finally been reunited, the romance between Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon is sentenced to execution by Flashpoint Hawkman and Hawkwoman!

Some thoughts:

--Gail Simone writing Hawkman?  And Gail Simone placing said Hawkman against Nightwing and Oracle?  I don't predict this working out well for the Winged Wonder.  

--On the other hand, Jan Duursema drawing the Hawks is a welcome surprise!  I have been working my way through Hawkman Volume 3, and in the early days of that series (and the latter days of Hawkworld), her work was almost always a treat.  So it should be good to see her handle them once again.

--I don't remember the Hawks playing much of a role in Flashpoint; but to be fair, I didn't read Flashpoint so maybe I just missed it.  The Jill Thompson cover really works the "Conan with wings" vibe, which I am cool with.  The offset emblem on the chest harness is a nice asymmetrical touch as well.  

I am going to be picking and choosing which Convergence books I get, but if you put the Hawks front and center, I am going to be pretty severely tempted.  I normally would not buy a Bat-book written by Simone, but I think my curiosity has been piqued enough to check this one out.  What do you folks think, will you be checking this miniseries out?

Image: Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle #1, 2015, Jill Thompson.

No comments: