Friday, January 16, 2015

Convergence: Hawkman #1 Variant Cover by Chip Kidd Revealed

Well, that didn't take long.  Newsarama has the Chip Kidd variant covers for the Convergence miniseries, including Convergence: Hawkman #1.

Each week of minis has their own "fade out" color, to help differentiate them week to week.  Which makes sense as each week stars heroes from a certain era.  Hawkman and the other COIE era characters get yellow, which at least fits in the color palette for the Winged Wonders.  The fade out effect really makes me think of Zero Hour, which might be the point considering that Convergence is about the mashing up of time and space, yes?

Now, as far as the cover image of Hawkman, I did some research work, but I was unable to identify where the image comes from.  I am assuming it is a cover, but it might not be, so that alone makes it tough for me.  It LOOKS like Richard Howell to me from the hook of the nose on the helmet and the amount of lines on the helmet.  But I compared it to the covers to Shadow War of Hawkman as well as the covers to Volume 2 and couldn't find a match.  Hopefully someone better at this sort of thing than me can help me out.

The variant cover is neat, and I like that it calls back to the history of DC, as is appropriate for the event.  That said, I think I will stick to the Albuquerque cover which was revealed yesterday.  Still, this is a nice variant cover, and I am digging what DC is doing here.  

What do you folks think?  Will you go with the variant cover, or stick with the regular version?

Image: Convergence: Hawkman #1 variant cover, 2015, Chip Kidd.    

No comments: