Monday, August 13, 2012

Legendary Hawkman Creator Joe Kubert, 1926-2012

    It's a sad day in this 4 Color World we all like to hang out in, as legendary comics creator Joe Kubert passed away yesterday.  He was 85 years old.

    The first Hawkman story I read on my way to becoming the Hawkfan I am today, as well as starting this blog, was The Brave And The Bold #34 as collected in Showcase Presents: Hawkman Volume 1.  I was immediately drawn to Kubert's art for the Winged Wonders, which was both graceful and powerful at the same time -- like a bird of prey in flight.  He also made the fantastical alternate forms of the Thanagarian rogue Byth look amazing as well.  I knew from there that I was in for a treat.

    But it's not just Hawkman.  The more Hawkman I read, the more I wanted to see other Kubert stuff.  Eventually I found his prehistoric epic Tor, which took Kubert's art to its most basic and primal state, just man and the natural world he lives in.  It is a lush, beautiful work, filled with drama and excitement and imagination.  

    And I cannot even begin to express my appreciation of his work on Sgt Rock, which to me is the finest example of the War genre in comics and some of the finest stuff ever committed to the 4 Color page.

    As I was filling out my order form for my comics this month, one item which I checked off was the upcoming Joe Kubert Presents from DC.  A big showcase project for Kubert and what he has done for the comics world.  Somehow it seems fitting that this project is coming out now, right on the heels of the industry losing one it's greats.  

    Rest in Peace Mr. Kubert.  You will be missed but your work and your legacy will live on forever.  

No comments: