Monday, August 6, 2012

Just Read: The Savage Hawkman #11

    Got my box from DCBS last week and the first one on top of the stack for me was The Savage Hawkman #11.  (For those curious, my normal reading order for new comics goes Hawkman, then Invincible Iron Man, then some mix of Flash, Wonder Woman, or GI Joe: A Real American Hero.  And now you know!)

    In this issue, Carter and Emma head to Rome to meet with a priest who is the Catholic Church's foremost expert on angels and angelic history.  Needless to say, things go south in a hurry, and Hawkman must face down the fanatical St. Bastion!

    The verdict: BAM!  A hard-hitting, fast-paced, slam-bang done in one issue which transported me back to my early days of reading superhero comics in the 1990s.  I don't mean that as a dig because I really, really enjoyed this issue.  Carter shows up someplace, gets into hot water, and then there is a fight.  Does it get any more pure superhero than that?  St. Bastion has a great look and the battle between him and Hawkman looks fantastic.  Joe Bennett and the rest of the art team absolutely knock this one out of the park.  And Rob Liefeld's dialogue is the same straight forward and doggedly earnest style that we have seen in the last few issues.  I especially enjoyed Carter's internal monologue during the battle, where he considers not only strategy but also his opponent's state of mind.

    A more in depth review ill be forthcoming, but I definitely dug this one.

No comments: