Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Waiting In The Wings -- 09/28/2011

Time for the last wave of the New 52 from DC Comics!

All-Star Western #1 -- Jonah Hex in Gotham City?  Sounds like a novel idea.  Definitely interested in seeing where this one goes. Want To Check Out.

Aquaman #1 -- I'll always give Aquaman a peek, he's a great classic hero and it seems like he is primed for his push to the top of the card.  Picking Up.

Batman: The Dark Knight #1 -- I have yet to figure out why this book exists.  Pass.

Blackhawks #1 -- The counterpart to Men Of War, this one looks a little but more like Military Fantasy in the vein of GI Joe, which is awesome.  Picking Up (Mail Order).

Flash #1 -- It's the Flash, so of course I am going to check it out.  Time for Barry Allen to shine.  Picking Up (Mail Order).

Fury of Firestorm #1 -- Shag has talked me up enough on this one, coupled with the awesome Firestorm storyline in Brightest Day.  Picking Up.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #1 -- There certainly are a lot of Green Lantern books on the stands now, huh?  Pass.

I, Vampire #1 -- I dismissed this book out of hand when I saw the cover, thinking it was shooting for a twinkling vampire effect.  The interiors seem to suggest a more serious horror book, so now I am torn.  Want To Check Out.

Justice League Dark #1 -- *sigh* Pass just on the title.

Superman #1 -- Superman by George Perez?  Color me intrigued.  I have my concerns with Action Comics but Superman looks like it might be fun.  Picking Up.

Teen Titans #1 -- I am really hopeful that this book will be a success, because I think the DCU needs a good team of Teen Titans.  But I have not had an interest in them in a long time.  Pass.

Voodoo #1 -- The only Wildstorm book I have ever liked was the reboot of Wetworks.  I don't think the WS characters are going to be integrated very well into the regular DCU, and Voodoo is not a character I am interested in anyway.  Pass.

Well, that's all of them... right...?

1 comment:

Count Drunkula said...

This is frustrating. Hawkman is one of my favorite DC heroes. I want him to have an ongoing book. I want him to be popular and successful.

I want-ed to like THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #1. But...

I really do not like Tony Daniel's writing. I hated his BATTLE FOR THE COWL mini-series. I did not care for this month's DETECTIVE COMICS relaunch. His style, his storytelling, his dialogue and characterization, none of it appeals to me. This issue left a lot of questions unanswered and I'm not sure how accessible it'll be for new readers. Are we assuming Shiera is still dead from BRIGHTEST DAY? Or did any of that happen? Obviously, Carter has been Hawkman for a while and something made him near-suicidal.

I just don't know if this new take on the character is going to work. But...

I'm going to give it a few more issues, at least till #4 to see if it picks up direction and clarity. If nothing else, Philip Tan's artwork is amazing on this book! Some of the best I've seen in the new 52; that's definitely in the book's favor.

I hope the book gets better. And Luke, and every other Hawkman fan, I hope you enjoy it, really, because you deserve a kick ass Hawkman title to follow and enjoy.