Monday, December 19, 2011

Acquired: Hawkworld, DC Direct

I headed up to Charlotte yesterday, meeting up with my Green Lantern-obsessed friend Joe and general comics lunatic Adama, and we hit the Charlotte Comicon.  All told this was a great little trip, and this is a fun small one day Con.  It's worth the trip up to Charlotte if only because it means I get to visit with my friends as well.  

Plus, it's always nice to pick up some new Hawkman swag!

I picked up three issues of Hawkworld -- #22, 30, and Annual 3 -- for fifty cents apiece.  I already have the majority of this series, and these three issues leave me with a single issue left to have the entire run, #29.  This series should make for interesting reading.  Makes me reconsider my reading/blogging order which I have going on here, but that is a post for another time.

My other Hawk-related purchase was a much bigger one, both from a dollar standpoint and a size standpoint.  The DC Direct Hawkman and Hawkgirl boxed set features the Winged Wonders in classic DC Direct style.  What makes this set so cool (besides the fact that it's Hawkman and Hawkgirl!) is the swappable helmets which allows you to display them in either Golden Age or Silver Age style!  Pretty snazzy, and hopefully I'll get the chance to open this (along with the long promised Hawkgirl vs Gentleman Ghost two-pack...) after the holidays.

I did leave one item behind which I considered buying.  At three different booths, I found very clean copies of Hawkman v.1:no.5, the second full appearance of Shadow-Thief.  And as I went down the line, the prices got cheaper and cheaper!  However, I decided to pass, but at some point I might start buying these Silver Age Hawkman books, so watch out!

Definitely a fun Sunday afternoon talking and buying comics!

1 comment:

The Irredeemable Shag said...

Love those Hawkman/Hawkgirl figures! I've got my Hawkman in my JSA display (using the classic helmet) and the Hawkgirl in my JLA display (using the Silver Age helmet). The problem is they don't stand all that well. They have to lean against something. :(

http://onceuponageek.com/2008/05/22/shag%E2%80%99s-comicatorium-aka-shag%E2%80%99s-sanctum-sanctorum/

The Irredeemable Shag
http://firestormfan.com