Tuesday, February 24, 2009

PULSE Interview with Kyle Baker


From Comicon.com:

THE PULSE: I'm sure you probably could have asked about working on just about any DC character, so why Hawkman come about? What's your story about?

BAKER: Hawkman's a great character, and I hadn't done a Hawkman story before. I e-mailed Mark a story outline. The story begins with a plane hijacking, because there aren't very many other crimes committed in the sky, and Hawkman has to fight crime in the sky. The hijacking leads to a mystery involving an alien invasion from space.

The rumor is that the new weekly series after Trinity shall be called Wednesday Comics (ugh), and Kyle Baker's Hawkman project will be featured in it.  I'm not really thrilled with the artwork but hey, Hawkman solo stuff is Hawkman solo stuff.

Image: Hawkman page, 2009, Kyle Baker

2 comments:

Diabolu Frank said...

Looks like quality, straight-action Kyle Baker with some Neal Adams cues to me. I could see complaining if it looked like the experimental "Truth" or "Plastic Man," but I dig this. My question is, how exactly will this succeed where "Solo" and "Action Comics Weekly" failed?

Luke said...

The Neal Adams touches I can see. I guess I like my Hawkman to look more Kubertian. I don't see the grace in these pages, personally.

My question is, how exactly will this succeed where "Solo" and "Action Comics Weekly" failed?

Or even more recently, the relaunches of Amazing Fantasy or Marvel Comics Presents? I guess DC is counting on the goodwill earned by 52 and Trinity and hoping to avoid a Countdown.