Thursday, April 20, 2017

So, about DC's Upcoming Dark Days: Metal...

It seems that the forthcoming DC event Dark Days is, in fact, at least partially about DC's most famous fictional metal, the Nth Metal made famous by our favorite Winged Wonders.

http://www.newsarama.com/34152-dark-nights-metal-brings-back-classic-dc-history.html

Speaking at a private press event during C2E2, DC co-publisher Jim Lee revealed that the "metal" in the title of DC's summer event Dark Knights: Metal is none other than Nth metal - the mysterious Thanagarian element that allows Hawkman to fly and has other strange properties.

This comes on the heels of the solicitation for the prologue book Dark Days: The Casting:

DARK DAYS: THE CASTING #1
Written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
Art by JIM LEE, ANDY KUBERT, JOHN ROMITA JR. and others
Cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
Variant cover by ANDY KUBERT
Variant cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for details. Includes a code for a free digital download of this issue.
The Joker's surprise attack threatens to lay waste to all of Batman's carefully laid plans. Will the Dark Knight be able to regain the trust of his closest allies, Green Lantern and Duke, and prevent the forces of darkness from consuming the DC Universe?! Will Hawkman's warning stop our heroes from peering into the abyss?

Emphasis mine.  What does this all mean?  I have no idea! To be honest, when I first read the solicitation, I assumed that the "abyss" was the some form of the afterlife, and the spirit of Hawkman would be delivering the warning to the DC Heroes.  Now?  I got nothing.

Look, I'll be honest, as much as I enjoyed Rebirth and have been enjoying the one DC ongoing I am reading (The Flash), ultimately I am mostly disengaged from DC because of the same reasons I was before Rebirth -- too many similar titles, namely way too many Batman and Bat Family books. Death of Hawkman was pretty good (I should probably get around to writing it up... yeah?) but ultimately not the Hawkman Rebirth title I was hoping for.  So I am curious about Metal, but not totally sold on it.  If it means a true Rebirth for Hawkman and Hawkgirl, then I am down with it.  Otherwise, well, we will see how it goes.

How about you?  What do you think about this Nth Metal development?

No comments: