Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hawkman Chess Piece from Eaglemoss

I'm not much of a chess player. I learned the game by playing Chessmaster on my Game Gear back in the day (true story), and I was a member of the loosely knit Chess Club in high school, but I'm not exactly what you would call "good" at the game.  (Backgammon is more my style.)  But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a nice chess set, like the DC Comics Justice League one which is going to be released by Eaglemoss.

The crew at Eaglemoss have just finished a Batman themed chess set, so this one seems like a logical next step.  The Heroes side is well stocked with heavy hitters, and who rates one of the 16 spots but the Winged Wonder himself, Hawkman!

Now, admittedly, he is a pawn (Queen's Pawn to be specific).  But actually, that fits.  If you take a look at the image above, who makes up the back row?  The Founders of the Jusice League!  It blends the "Big 7" of the old continuity with the "Big 7" of the new continuity, so Martian Manhunter and Cyborg both make the cut to give us our 8.  Now matter how you slice it, no "Hawkman" was ever a JLA Founder, so I'm alright with him being a pawn.

Besides, he's in good company up there, with long time frenemy Green Arrow, Silver & Bronze Age teammates Zatanna and Firestorm, Modern Age teammate Power Girl, plus Supergirl, Shazam (is he called Shazam now?  Or Captain Marvel?  Ugh.) and everybody's favorite Booster Gold.  Some "heavy hitters" up front!

As an aside, I just love the fact that the Martian Manhunter is a Knight.  I can't explain that, I just do.

These Eaglemoss sets come out one piece at a time, like a subscription service.  I doubt I will pick up the whole thing, since I already have a perfectly nice chess set for my wife to beat me on, but a Hawkman chess piece would look very nice on my Hawk shelf!

(h/t to Shag from Firestorm Fan for making me aware of this!)

Image: Eaglemoss Justice League Chess Set preview, 2013, image obtained from Firestorm Fan.

No comments: