Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Acquired: Justice League America #101-102

    I got a couple of packages in the mail yesterday.  One was a copy of the Japanese Game Boy Advance Ultraman series fighting game Daiketsu! Ultra Hero.  The other one is of more interest to this blog: copies of Justice League America #101 and #102, part of the "Way Of The Warrior" crossover with Hawkman v.3 and Guy Gardner, Warrior as we have discussed here over the last week.  (My older son, upon seeing the comics after I took them out of the envelope, said "Daddy, how come these comics don't have Batman on them?"  *sigh*)

    This is more of a milestone for me than it appears at first blush, as this actually finishes off my punchlist for Volume 3 of Hawkman.  At this point I am only missing a handful of Silver Age and forward Hawkman issues in either singles or collected editions, and these two had eluded me for quite a while, for some reason.  I found the Guy Gardner issues easily enough, but these were MIA when it came to the bins I scoured at various shows over the years.

    The Golden Age is going to be a harder nut to crack than just going on eBay and doing a Buy It Now, of course.  I, ahem, have "reading copies" of those Flash Comics stories, but other than the superlative Golden Age Hawkman Archives v.1, I don't have any Golden Age stuff, and that situation is unlikely to change any time soon as it seems unlikely that a Volume 2 will ever be forthcoming.  (On a side note, I have a devious notion to get the Silver Age era Hawkman Archives as well, just because, man, that Golden Age one is so beautiful.  I love my Showcase Presents but seriously, that color is nice.)

    I'm hip-deep in the first Messener-Loebs story, which definitely has a very different vibe (but not Vibe) than the Ostrander stuff.  It's intriguing.  But that's a post for another day.

No comments: