Monday, June 11, 2012

Savage Hawkman #0 Solicitation

Well, Zero Month is official, as for the one year anniversary of the New 52, we DC readers are getting a month full of #0 issues, featuring origin tales and other stories set before the current storylines.  Savage Hawkman is no exception (thanks to Newsarama):

THE SAVAGE HAWKMAN #0
Plotted by ROB LIEFELD
Scripted by ROB LIEFELD and MARK POULTON
Art and cover by JOE BENNETT and ART THIBERT
On sale SEPTEMBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
--Discover Hawkman's connection to Thanagar and why he came to Earth!

Seems like all of the Thanagar stuff which has been set up for the past 9 months or so will at least get some sort of explanation.  Whether we get the whole story or not remains to be seen, but it's pretty clear to me that our hero is (in some way or shape) not a human.  I don't have a particular problem with that, given my affections for the Silver Age Hawkman.  Of course, this hero is no Silver Age Winged Wonder.

This cover is evidently not necessarily the final version; honestly, I wish it was.  This is one heck of a pinup cover and Bennett's work looks amazing -- substantially better, I think, than Rob Liefeld's pinup covers we have seen lately.  

Hard to believe that the New 52 will be a year old so soon!  Yeesh, how time flies! (Pun intended.)

Image: The Savage Hawkman #0, 2012, Joe Bennett.

2 comments:

Juss said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Juss said...

Not bad, atall. My only 2 quibbles are: I am finally clear that what's been bothering me about the helmet are two things–and neither of them is the "chinstrap!" I dislike the ridges on top, both because I think they're unsleek and unlovely, and I dislike the helmet wings, not because they're badly designed, but just because they're not feathered, and I really, really miss the feathers! O, well, times change.

The other thing that bothers me is the shaft of that axe. It looks too slim. I prefer the look we've seen already, where it's thicker, and has a loop or hand-cover.

But I'm really excited to see the new Thangar. I want to see and get to know "Princess" Shayera, and learn about the current vision of Thanagar's society, politics, and level of technology.