Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Waiting In The Wings -- 12/10/2008


Between the holiday and work-related travel, I haven't had a chance to go to the comic shop in a few weeks, so there should be some nice Hawk-related stuff coming out.  Here's what's on tap for this week.

Final Crisis #5 -- Earth has pretty much gone to hell in this series, with Darkseid and his evil New Gods reborn and controlling the entire planet.  So where is Hawkman?  I suppose he might be out in space dealing with the Rann-Thanagar Holy War, but hopefully he will make an apperance here.

JSA v.3: Thy Kingdom Come HC -- Now this is one I can easily say has Hawkman in it.  Because I own the issues in question!  Geoff Johns announced that he was leaving JSA after the Black Adam storyarc which follows after the Gog saga, but we can still enjoy his work, especially in revitalizing the Winged Wonder.

Trinity #28 -- Hawkman has been one of the regularly recurring heroes in the backups of this title, so there is a chance he will pop up here this week.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh...Final Crisis.....I haven't been reading all of it, but I've picked up and read through a couple of the issues in the comic book store, and I have been pretty well appalled with it. Ohh well, it's pretty obvious that DC isn't making books for guys like me these days.

So Luke, just out of random curiosity, in no way indicative of any projects of mine, would you have any interest in playing some Hawkman adventures in a PC game?

Luke said...

Final Crisis is an interesting animal. I think what level of interest one has in it depends on how much one buys into all of Jack Kirby's Fourth World stuff. I'm a sucker for it, so I have pretty much swallowed the hook at this point. I can totally see why there is the group of people who can't stand it.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore, mostly fiddling with my GBA now and again. I suppose it would depend on the type of game, really! But Hawkman gets so little attention in the gaming world, yeah, that would probably be fun to check out.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am actually a huge fan of Kirby's Forth World stuff......at least the original books, and as they appeared on JLU (minus Superman being able to go toe to toe with Darkseid), but what they are doing now...well...I imagine that the King wouldn't be too fond of it. Either way, there is just too much water under those bridges for me.

On another note....*cough* http://img509.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img509/5515/122901827584v.smil *cough*

Luke said...

Dude, looks pretty cool! Turn based I presume?

Anonymous said...

Nope, guess again! Ha, it is a mod for a game called Freedom Force, just about the best superhero game ever made. Those pics represent a part of a larger (MUCH larger) project I've been working on. You can see some badly made videos of mine that show some of the other aspects of what I'm doing here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5AYuhHVwbU

Also, you can see a much better video made by another member of the 3rd party community:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7M-H0GMIO4&feature=related

I have finally just about finished my little project, and I should be releasing it around the 10th. I hope you'll try it out, and maybe give me your feedback on the Hawkman/girl campaign!

Luke said...

Ah, yes, I remember Freedom Force, although I must admit I have never played it!

Anonymous said...

Ohh man, you missed out. I suggest that you pick up Freedom Force Vs. The Third Reich. You can get it for a song...I think lately it was selling for $0.87 on Amazon. Aside from my little project, the third party community has created in an already incredible game the greatest superhero game of all times.